Pages

Saturday 8 September 2012

Shape, Texture and Colour

How did that happen? It is over a week since I last posted about Ode to Nature and during that time the course has ended. Being back at school has been all consuming. Lesson plans, timetables, a new Head of School bringing fresh ideas and changes this year.

I did find time after school to manage some sketching and drawing. I have been drawn to my small collection of Dogfish egg cases that are commonly known as Mermaids Purses. 




I used a Berol fine-liner pen and water to create a smokey effect here.

It has been all about shape, texture and colour.



One of my favourite group of cases was originally laid by one fish, and within that group is a myriad of different tones which I have tried to capture in the guache painting above. I used a Sharpie pen for the lines. 






The dogfish, attaches her eggs to an object on the ocean floor so that they won't wash away, and here she used the seaweed as an anchor. I am fortunate that the seaweed I have drawn is still attached to my Mermaids Purses.



I also have a large collection of sharks teeth amongst other things and I have now started to draw them. 

Although the course has now ended, I will still be placing some of my sketches on the Group Flickr page. I have enjoyed the whole process of creating a sketch book and a field journal and sharing my work with like-minded people. 

2 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

I've really enjoyed your work in this class, and I hope you continue to post to your blog occasionally, too. I find the ends of the purses - with the web-like strings really fascinating.
Rinda

Ariel said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. That way I was able to find your blog. I've seen sketches on dogfish topic in the class flickr also. It's a new subject to me and Thank you for sharing.
Susan