Pages

Tuesday 25 September 2012

Adding tonal and contrast...

Hi Everyone, 

I had a wonderful and non-stop weekend with my family... so, as you can imagine, I was unable to paint as many layers as I hoped. Last week's lesson was to playfully add black and white to the canvases, in order to add tonal contrast, and make the strokes and mark-making 'pop' from the canvas. Of choice, I wouldn't normally add these colours to a painting and I really had to trust myself not to over-think it too much. I have to switch off the critical button that I use everyday as an art teacher. My gut (Yoda) had lots to say but I am looking forward to this week's lesson to bring back colour to the canvases. 

For the moment, here are the canvases and their playful black and white strokes:    

Canvas 1

Canvas 2

Quote:


Thank you to everyone who is enjoying the journey as much as I am. It is amazing to look at the contrast from week 1 to week 2. I have now started a third canvas. I am recording all the layers as I proceed so that when it gets nearer a finished piece, I will do a post of the whole process in one blog post. This idea came from one of Flora's interviews and it has inspired me to give it a go too. It has had a big, visual impact on me!! Fingers crossed.

I hope everyone has a great week. 

Keep you posted. 

Andy 

3 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

This is so interesting to watch develop. Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a fun weekend.
Rinda

alexa said...

I found this so hard to do - the white I could manage but the black ... Admiring your adventurous spirit!

Miriam said...

Like Rinda, I am fascinated with this process. I have preferred canvas two until this week when I prefer canvas one.